List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: thoughts about features
From:       Pete Goodliffe <pete.goodliffe () pace ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-02-12 10:17:50

Hi,

Being a RISC OS user this idea really stikes a chord with me, and I
believe that would be a very intuiitive addition to KDE. However,

Chris Ross wrote:
> It would be nice to implement the RISC OS message protocol so that the
> applications can negotiate over shared memory and such, thus avoiding a
> lot of overhead and enabling greater functionality like live, in-situ
> updates. It's not essential to change anything though, even in RISC OS if
> the destination application does not respond to the messages the OS simply
> tells the sender to save to a temporary file and tells the destination to
> open it (just as though it had been double clicked or dragged by the
> user).

I do wonder whether it's worth the complication of something like
the RISC OS message protocol for saving. The idea of this was to support
in memory transfer to speed inter-application saves. However, with
reasonable disk buffering there would probably be no performance
penalty with a "disk" transfer, the data would never make it to the disk.

Add to that the possibility that if you transfer a big file via shared
memory you'd probably cause memory to be swapped to disk; you've lost the
benefit already.

Remember Unix IS different fundamentally to RISC OS, no matter how good
the RISC OS GUI is.

However, it would be nice to see something more like the RISC OS icon bar
presence for applications and the drag-and-drop saving, for sure.

Cheers,

Pete

--
Pete Goodliffe, Senior Software Engineer
Pace Micro Technology plc                     Tel: +44 (0) 1223 518579