List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: thoughts about features
From:       Chris Ross <devel () tebibyte ! org>
Date:       2001-02-08 22:50:04

I second the RISC OS no file open or save dialogs approach. The
Macintosh/Windows way everything ends up with yet another file manager
built in and they all work completely differently. It makes no sense that
you can drag a file from Konq into an appliction, but you can't drag it
from an an application into Konq. Plus the RISC OS icon dragging paradigm
makes it trivially easy to create pipes between arbitrary applications. No
other GUI I've seen makes it possible let alone easy. That makes a very
suitable graphical metaphor for the Unix Way. From an application save a
file by dragging its icon onto a small filter applet on the Task Bar, then
drag the resulting icon to a Filer window. (Like most GUIs, it's much
easier to do than to describe). Voila, all applications can automagically
save in tar or gzip format or whatever without a single line of code or
specially written plugin. Come on guys, we need volunteers.

The trouble is that the Mac and Windows GUIs were originally designed as
UIs to *monotasking* operating systems. RISC OS was designed from the
outset with the knowledge that you could have an arbitrary number of
applications open on the desktop simultaneously. Why should a text editor,
say, need yet another inconsistent file manager to save things when you
have a very good one on the desktop already? It isn't 1984 any more, our
computers can very happily walk *and* chew gum now.

(Windows Explorer is the worst. A file manager with a built in file
manager (find file -> browse) that's completely different to its parent!
Stupid, stupid, stupid).

Regards,
Chris R.