List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New to KDE devel.
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       2001-02-08 7:52:09

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 broucho@club-internet.fr wrote:

> I finally decided I could somehow contribute since I like C/C++ programing.

Welcome aboard!

> My first question is :
> is there a way to install it in a different directory than /opt/kde ? I had already \
> the kde1.x installed with suse7.0 and it makes kind of a mess with the "make \
> install" which puts every in /opt/kde also. I wrote a script to change all /opt/kde \
> of all Makefiles but I guess there's more to it since it doesn't do a great job.

configure --prefix=/opt/kde-2.1      or wherever else you want to install
it. See configure --help | less for all possible options.

> Third question :
> I had never used automake and autoconf before. It's not clear to me where this \
> acinclude.m4 comes from ! It's in every AC_INT so I guess this file is generic for \
> all KDE application ? Am I right ? The reason I'm wondering that is because I \
> started writing small application to get some practice w/ KDE API and I don't want \
> to use Kdevelop. But hold on ... don't understant me wrong, Kdevelop is for sure a \
> great tool but I'd rather keep using my good old Xemacs w/ Makefiles which allows \
> me to understand better the way things work. Is there somewhere a template since \
> all applications seems to be based on automake and autoconf.

In kdesdk there is "kapptemplate" that generates a fully functional little
application with all necessary Makefile.am, configure, and so on stuff for
you. Makes for a good start.

Happy hacking!

Uwe

Uwe Thiem                                        Tel:  +264 - 61 - 265428
P.O.Box 30955                                    Email:   uwe@uwix.alt.na
Windhoek                                                      uwe@kde.org
Republic of Namibia                                    http://www.kde.org