List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror rocks
From:       Philippe Fremy <fremy () yalbi ! com>
Date:       2001-02-05 21:56:27

> > Another point : when I typically search something on the net, I have
> > something like 15 konqueror windows opened, a few of them displaying
> > already the information I needed and other still in progress. At this
> > point, I usually fall upon a site that makes konqueror segault. It is
> > perhaps, java or javascripts or whatever, I don't care. The problem is
> > that because of one site, I lose 14 windows with valuable information.
> >
> > It is ok not to have a perfect browser, but it would be better if it
> > could resist to a segfault. I remember that someone said it was
> > possible to start
>
> You must be joking. I think the people developing khtml/konq know it has
> problems on some sites. And yes, we like segfaults as much as you do. But
> all of the khtml developers are doing this work in their free time and
> don't get paid for it. We con only fix one bug after the other.

I am not joking and I have very much respect for all kde developers. I just
try to improve usability.

I feel like you misunderstood me.

I am quite satisfied with the stability of konqueror and using it all the
time. But I'm trying to address the problem that it segfaults sometimes in
a different manner. The normal way to fix this is to look for bugs, debug a
lot and fix them. We all know it takes a long time.

But I think there are alternative things we can do to limitate the impact
of a konqueror crash (losing 14 windows).

> > every konqueror in a new process, so that this case of thing wouldn't
> > happen. Could this be added to the kontrol center ? I even suggest that
> > this should be the default configuration. Yes, it adds overhead but
> > that's worth it. After all, it is only konqueror. I wouldn't want to
> > start a netscape for every site I browse :-)
>
> This is not possible, as the different windows can in principle
> communicate with each other.

I am very surprised it is not possible and I don't understand your
response, so I guess you perhaps didn't understand my request.

Let's say I start a research on the web, googles finds me 14 interesting
links. For each of them I "open the link in a new window", which makes 15
konqueror windows. Internally, I guess I have one konqueror process, 15
html documents and 15 views. If one of the view crash, konqueror crash and
I lose 14 valuable windows. I don't care about the window that has crashed,
I won't go to that site anymore. But I care about my 14 other windows.

Instead of using "open link in new window", I could have started 14 other
konqueror with the panel, and drag'n dropped the 14 url links into my other
konquerors. That way, I would have had 15 konqueror processes, 15 html
document and 15 views. If one of the view crashes, the 14 others stay
alive. Am I right ?

So what I am asking for is to make it possible that "new window" launches a
different process instead of requiring me to launch manually a new konqui.
This should be only a matter of klauncher+kfm.

Regarding your response, I don't see where the different windows would need
to communicate with each other. The only communication is "open this url"
when the window is created and it is a simple DCOP call.

	regards,

	Philippe