List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Question about applets
From:       Bart De Win <bart.dewin () cs ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       2001-01-31 16:43:36

> On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 02:56:39PM +0100, Bart De Win wrote:
>
> > To further test this, I started from an empty KDevelop 1.4 Kicker applet
> > project and tried to make something visible in the applet (e.g. a
> > QLabel), without success (see code below). Even the menu items
> > Preferences, About and Help don't appear, although they are included in
> > the applet. It seems to me that the applet gets not loaded at all.
> > However, the .desktop file seems fine and the libraries are installed
> > correctly.  I already changed the .desktop file to start another applet
> > and this works. I don't know what the problem is.
>
> You could insert some debug-output into your applet's constructor and
> check .X.err/xsession-errors if it arrives there.
Thx for the tip ! Now, I'm getting somewhere. I see the following in
.xsession-errors :
kicker: WARNING: cannot open applet:/usr/local/kde12beta2/lib/libkickertest.la
because of /usr/local/kde12beta2/lib/libkickertest.so.1: undefined symbol:
__vt_10KickerTest

Using nm on the libkickertest.so file returns something similar :
<snip>
00001408 T __pure_virtual
         w __register_frame_info
=>      U __vt_10KickerTest
         U __vt_10KickerTest.12QPaintDevice
         U __write
00002798 A _edata
<snip>

I'm not an expert in libraries, I don't have a clue what this means. What is
the problem and what could be the cause of it ?

Best regards,
Bart De Win.