List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Question for Kmail developers
From:       Kuba Ober <winnie () hoth ! amu ! edu ! pl>
Date:       2001-01-30 13:54:28

> So far I'm still with Konqueror.  However, I'm now back with Netscape
> Mail and can only use kmail for composing and sending email while using
> Konqueror - for example when clicking on a mailto link.  I cannot use
> KMail reliably for retrieving and mananaging mail even for a single
> account.  It retrieves the mail fine but inbox contents are not arranged
> in a meaningful fashion and there are too few facilities for getting
> different views of and arranging inbox contents.
?????? I must either get too little mail or have a very good mental-object
handling capabilities. I don't see the problem.

> The problem is not bugs but lack of needed features.  The biggest lack
> is that threads can't be collapsed and expanded.  This makes managing

So that's the problem. Well, I live without thread collapse/expansion, and I
believe that just by following this list one can deduce that for kde 2.2
it'll be there. Patience can pay off - I have used win95 since it was first
released (bought it in september 95), then switched to osr2, then to 98, and
then to kde. In 95 I didn't think I'd be able to use linux for work. Now I
use KDE and I'm doing fine. Can't easily see why somebody else wouldn't.

> (apparently based on date).  Browsing inbox mail when this happens
> results in confusing navigation, at least in my experience. Finally,
At least I don't have any mail in inbox (always less than 10 letters). I can
advice to do the same and I think this problem will be gone :-). Try
filtering it into folders other than inbox first.

> I don't think kmail needs a whole lot of "features" but it at least
> needs these.  If kmail met my needs I'd certainly be using it, if for no
> other reason than to avoid the additional overhead of Netscape when Kde
> is already running.  Netscape mail is incredibly ugly but it has the
> features I need to deal with mailing list traffic.

Developers will do their job, sooner or later. This is free software. Nobody
is pushing anything, there are no bosses to fire someone, and no developer on
this list makes much from `slap on the back' given from somebody who says
that `software x is better than k[something]'.

KDE is not perfect yet. Nobody tries to push anybody into using it. If what
somebody needs is netscape mail and not kmail, then fine, why don't he just
use what he need to use? Myself I find some of the messages on this list in
the humorous black-'n-white movie kindergarten-teacher style...

Alas, my mood is smiley now, and that's the intended reading mood for this
letter.

Stay cool,
Cheerz,
Kuba