List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Question for Kmail developers
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-01-29 8:59:58

On Monday, 29. January 2001 05:16, Jon Aseltine wrote:

> Perhaps the behavior you mentioned is logical, but your perspective is
> incorrect. Imagine your point of view is on that branch that is cut off:
> once it hits the ground, you have lost all perspective on the rest of
> the tree (you may have been looking at other branches nearby to cut off
> next). This is analagous to what kmail does when the root of a thread is
> deleted: one's point of view is instantly shifted to somewhere
> completely different, a very unexpected behavior which violates the
> principle of least surprise. I have not seen another email client which
> behaves this way, because it is just plain wrong.

In any case KMail does threading according to the In-Reply-To and the
References headers which contain message ids and can only use the
information, that the headers of the rest of the mails still contain.
Currently always, when a mail is displayed as child in the tree, then it was
really a reply to the parent item.
Otherwise KMail would have to modify the mails, which is IMHO not correct.

Some people prefer threading according to the subject. Then this problem
would not arise, but therefore some other.

Regards,
Michael Häckel