List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: printing raw data - critical
From:       Ferdinand Gassauer <f.gassauer () aon ! at>
Date:       2001-01-26 17:33:02

On Thursday, 25. January 2001 17:34, Kuba Ober wrote:

> > > Bad configuration of printing filter on remote end - fix it (for me,
> > > latest LPRng works all fine). The programs don't prohibit anything, and
> > > the `backend' they all use is lpr. Seems to me that the remote end
> > > doesn't recognize %!PS-Adobe-1.0 as a magic that redirects the output
> > > to gs...
Hmm, I have no chance to configure the remote end to use any magic gs for the
moment.
It has to go through the filter of the local printing system. and has to be
passed in the very special format of the printer to the remote queue.
I know, I'd prefer to handle this matter on the remote printer spooler.

> > It would be nice to have at least the possibility to specify ones own
> > printer command.
>
> Sure.
>
> > So I can just use my companies printing infrastructure.
>
> How does it differ from cat outputpipe | lpr -Pprinter (that's more or less
> what Qt printing does). It doesn't use any `raw' output - plain postscript
> that has to be handled by whatever printer filter there is.
>
> Alas, printing to file and then doing cat file | lpr -Pprinter should work
> just as good as printing `directly' to any given printer. If plain lpr
> -Pprinter file doesn't invoke the gs interpreter, then it does mean that
> you have your lpd misconfigured that it doesn't recognize valid PS files.

Well that's just the point I'd like to make.
lpr -P <printer> <filename> works fine.
I'll have to try
cat <filename> | lpr -P<printer>
on Monday

--
(KDE 2 on SuSE 7.0, source: cvs max 24 hours old from
 anoncvs.kde.org daily rebuild)

mit freundlichen Grüßen / with best regards
Ferdinand Gassauer

PS.
Besuchen Sie doch auch unsere WEB-Seite
please visit our WEB-page