List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Release schedule for KDE 2.1 beta 2 and KDE 2.1 final
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz () linuxqa ! com>
Date:       2001-01-11 8:50:08

Hi,

Just a small comment if I may:

You give a roughly - a week (29/1 - 5/2) for people to test the Beta 2..

I'm affraid thats way too small period, and you won't have that many testsers as
you had with the 2.0 release version..

I suggest to expand this week to a month, so lots of people can report bugs.

One more thing David - didn't you decide that once you have a final stable
version of KDE 2.1 - it will be called "KDE 2.2"?

Thanks,
Hetz

David Faure wrote:

> Here is a proposal for the release schedule for the next two releases.
>
> This schedule gives the 3 weeks of message freeze that the translators asked for,
> and gives us a feature freeze of 3 weeks too - hopefully enough time to close
> everything on http://bugs.kde.org :-))
>
> An alternative schedule would be to add one week between the two releases,
> i.e. delay 2.1 final by one week. I suggest that we don't plan to do that, but we
> keep this option at hand in case beta 2 turns out to have too many bugs.
>
> Comments welcome.
>
> KDE 2.1 Beta 2
> =============
>
> Friday 12/01/2001
> The HEAD branch is frozen again : no new features, bugfixes
> commits only, no commit that modifies an application's behaviour,
> and **message freeze**.
>
> Monday 22/01
> The HEAD branch of CVS is tagged KDE_2_1_BETA2, and tarballs are made.
> They are made public immediately, and given to packagers for creation
> of binary packages.
>
> Friday 26/01
> The binary packages are uploaded to ftp.kde.org to give some time for the mirrors
> to get them.
>
> Monday 29/01
> Announce KDE 2.1 Beta 2
>
> KDE 2.1 final
> =============
>
> The HEAD branch remains frozen since Friday 12/01. Only bugfixing,
> there is enough of that to do :)
>
> Monday 05/02
> Last day for translations, documentation, icons and critical bugfixes
> commits.
>
> Tuesday 06/02
> The HEAD branch of CVS is tagged KDE_2_1_RELEASE, and tarballs are released
> to the packagers.
>
> The rest of the week is spent testing the tarballs, packaging and writing the
> announcement and changelog.
>
> Friday 09/02
> The source and binary packages are uploaded to ftp.kde.org to give some time
> for the mirrors to get them.
>
> Monday 12/02
> Announce KDE 2.1.
>
> --
> David FAURE, david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org
> http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/
> KDE, Making The Future of Computing Available Today

Hetz Ben Hamo
Hardware Research dept.
Aduva Inc.