List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Scripting in KDE
From:       Phil Thompson <phil () river-bank ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-01-08 10:52:45

phlip wrote:

> Phil Thompson wrote:
>
> > This is why I and theKompany.com developed VeePee and intend to use it
> > to script enable all of theKompany.com's applications. VeePee gives the
> > user the ability to create simple GUI interfaces with very few lines of
> > Python code - it allows the user to get on with solving their specific
> > problem rather than spend most of their time/code creating the user
> > interface. VeePee gives the application developer a simple API that
> > present the Python interpreter as a sub-class of QObject. VeePee also
> > has a GNOME implementation so that the same user script will create a
> > GNOME GUI in a GNOME application and a KDE GUI in a KDE application.
> >
> > The web site is http://www.thekompany.com/projects/vp.
>
> I don't think of it as building a fresh app with a new GUI. I think of it
> like this:
>
>         a = CreateApp ("KMail")
>         b = CreateApp ("KNode")
>         txt = b.Group("comp.unix.programming").Article(KNode_Latest_Article).Text()
>         mail = a.NewMessage("bgates@microsoft.com", "Don't need a weather man to
> tell which way the wind blows")
>         mail.Text(txt)
>         mail.Send()
>
> Put another way, I see scripting as a way to glue apps together, molest their
> object model, and automate using them. ActiveX can do this ;-)
>
> I'l get to VeePee next after the current cycle of builds!

That is one aspect of scripting - what I refer to as developer scripting
rather than user scripting. As such PyKDE would be the solution (once it
supports KDE 2) rather than VeePee.

I think it's more important (as far as increasing the use of Linux/KDE
on the desktop is concerned) to solve the user scripting problem.

Obviously there is going to be a gray area where some capabilities could
be considered both user and developer scripting.

Phil