List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdelibs (L)GPL question - just to be sure
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2000-12-31 15:47:02

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, mh wrote:
>
> > In my Qt2.2.x app (GPL) I make use of the KProcess class (LGPL).
> > After reading several threads on qt-interest, I thought
> > this isn't a problem at all, but now, after reading
> > "KDE 2 Development" I'm not longer sure that I don't break
> > a license.
>
> You aren't breaking a license.
>
> > Does this mean
> > 1. what I'm currently doing (adding some modified files of a LGPL'd library
> > to a GPL'd app) is simply illegal.
>
> No, as long as the app is GPL or LGPL, you can do it.
> You just can't use the code in anything that is under a different license.
>
> > 2. that the LGPL classes automatically turn in GPL code, and therfore there's
> > no problem at all?
>
> Yes. If you read the LGPL, you'll see it explicitly states all LGPL code
> may be re-released under the GPL.

Hi,

Just as a clarification, there is no "automatic" conversion. The LGPL (and we
are talking about version 2, not 2.1, right?) specifies the steps you need to
take to do the conversion in Section 3:

  Section 3. You may opt to apply the terms of the ordinary GNU
  General Public License instead of this License to a given
  copy of the Library. To do this, you must alter all the notices
  that refer to this License, so that they refer to the ordinary
  GNU General Public License, version 2 instead of to this License.
  [ ... ] Do not make any other change in these notices.

  Once this change is made in a given copy, it is irreversible for
  that copy, so the ordinary GNU General Public License
  applies to all subsequent copies and derivative works made from
  that copy.

  This option is useful when you wish to copy part of the code of
  the Library into a program that is not a library.

So while not automatic it is pretty easy:  copy the LGPL code into your GPL
program and remove all references to the LGPL, keeping the references to the
GPL.

Ciao,

Andreas Pour