List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde's future
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () zvw ! de>
Date:       2000-12-31 12:22:20

Am Samstag, 30. Dezember 2000 22:22 schrieb Matt Newell:

> > 2. Koffice becomes as good as Microsoft Office
>
> I really don't think that it has to become as good, I just think that as a
> whole, KOffice needs to reach a level of functionality that the average
> user will be happy with. Also it is crucial that all the bugs are ironed
> out; I don't like typing a two page paper and having KWord crash before I
> save it.

I think that stability is the most important thing in KOffice. Most people
use Word for small texts like letters and don't need all those many
functions. But what they need is a programm that doesn't crash and with
functions that do what the user expect. I think KOffice should first become
stable and then include the funky stuff.

> > 4. it provides better installation method
>
> This is more of a distribution issue, the average user won't be downloading
> rpm's and installing them.

But the average user might want to download and install additional programs
that didn't come with the distro.

> > Not to mention that you can buy secondhand Windows 98 for 250 danish
> > krowns, and that Linux-Mandrake 7.2 costs 500 danish krowns. Ok, you may
> > say the download is free. No, it's not. It's again aproximately 500
> > krowns, because it takes three days to download it with 56 modem (most
> > people have 56 modems). And not to mention used time to tweak Linux! And
> > time is money. You may say that Linux-Mandrake comes with a lot of free
> > apps. That's true. But how many of them the normal user is going to use?
>
> You can buy a LM CD for like five dollars American.  Then you can burn a
> copy for all your friends.  It is cheaper, you just need to try a little
> harder.

Well, on LinuxTag, I got a new RedHat distro (only the CDs) for nothing from
RedHat, and for 5DM (about 2.5 Euro) the complete distro with printed manual
and signed by Alan Cox. ;-)

> > IMHO Linux & KDE can't compete MS Windows telling people that they are
> > free.

The problem is that most people consider Windows and all those apps free.
They know that it's illegal to copy it, but they don't care. If all those
apps had a really working copy protection, Windows were already dead because
no one has enough money to buy all that software. That's why most programs
don't have any copy protection at all.

--
First they ignore you. Then they laugh about you.
Then they fight you. And then you win.