List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde's future
From:       Josef Spillner <dr_maux () maux ! de>
Date:       2000-12-29 20:13:35

On Fri, Dec 29 2000 21:52 Richard Bos wrote:
> is the kde-league sufficient for kde future?
>
> according the underneath quote from an article it isn't;

Sure it is.
Why? Because in the past, and mainly in the present, both users and
developers have proven that monopolists cannot survive a long time.
Thus, the question from a user's point of view isn't KDE || GNOME; instead,
it is: how to get the best out of KDE && GNOME and other environments. Both
are, from a programmer's point of view, only interfaces to a functionality
which becomes more and more complex, and the common user hates complex
applications.

Imagine a Gnome freak saying: "Is the Gnome foundation sufficient? With
Caldera only, SuSE mainly, Borland indirectly supporting KDE..."

KDE's strength is the integration of Internet services, and as long as new
applications arise every day (and they do) and continue to try to cover all
aspects of modern computing, I do not see any fear.

Besides, I am supporting a project which has both KDE and Gtk+ (later on
Gnome) faces, both not supported by any league or foundation, but with
growing success. Humans have 2 eyes, but sevenfold that amount of desktop
environments :-)

Josef Spillner

--
The MindX Project - http://mindx.sourceforge.net