List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail precommand problem
From:       Marcos Dione <mdione () hal ! famaf ! unc ! edu ! ar>
Date:       2000-12-29 14:41:23

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Michael Häckel wrote:

> At least here the -f sleep 20 does not work, if I simply run the command from
> a shell.

	if I run

ssh -f -C -L 110:hal:110 mdione@multivac sleep 20

	from a console, I get an ssh open for 20 seconds listening in the
110 local port (and goes to the bg). if I connect to this port, the pop
server in hal answers me. thats how ssh tunneling works. but if I put the
same command in the precommand in kmail, I get a

	Cannot fork into background without a command to execute.

	error from ssh, as if ot hasnt got exactly what I typed! and it
dies, and obviously kmail cant connect to anything.

	BTW, I first set it to use SMTP but now I want it to use sendmail,
and I several times had said him so, but it stills uses the SMTP server I
declared. cannot make it send mails too!

> You are misunderstanding the precommand feature. KMail waits with
> mailchecking until the precommand is finished. In your case that doesn't
> happen before the ssh connection is shut down.
>
> You probably have to run a shell scripts with the following lines in your
> case:
>
> ssh -C -L 110:hal.famaf.unc.edu.ar:110 mdione@multivac.famaf.unc.edu.ar&
> sleep 10

	that was an ampersand? if so, that would not work. the sleep
command is for making ssh do something till the client (kmail) connects to
this side of the tunnel. if noone uses the local end, it closes everything
and nothing has happened here. but, if something connects to this side,
ssh waits till it finnish (closes) the connection.

--
"y, bueno, yo soy muy ilogico. lo que pasa es que ustedes me toman
demasiado en serio"