List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: playing Audio cd with kioslave question
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz () linuxqa ! com>
Date:       2000-12-24 9:36:10

Just a food for thought...

Someone could basically "rip" an audio track at speed or X1 - but instead of
going to a file - dropping it to artsd or /dev/dsp (the former is prefferable -
I just tried the latest CVS by using kde media player, while runnning winamp in
win98 under VMware and it was playing both perfectly).

Why do I suggest it? simple - if you have the audio directly played at X1 to the
sound server - you could do effects and setup the sound just like you're setting
up your MP3 settings (bass, treble, and other 3rd party effect like naotun
have).

One thing that is problematic in playing Audio CD is that you don't have control
on the bass/treble and other parameters while you're playing Audio CD. With the
method I suggested, you could change that, as well as other parameters like
Sorround sound etc...

Do a simple test if you have Windows on your machine...

On control panel, click on your CDROM (under System), and select to play CD
Digitally - now hear your CD. Turn the CD Digital play off and try again - now
you'll understand what I mean :)

Again, just food for thought.

Hetz

rik@kde.org wrote:

> #if Hetz Ben Hamo
> > How can I use the audiocd:/ kioslave? Do I need to compile something
> > specifically? add some packages?
>
> You need to pass --with-cdparanoia to kdebase/configure.
>
> After it's installed. you can type 'audiocd:/' into konqy and it
> will give you a list of MS WAV audio files, which you can treat
> like normal files. It will probably be very slow to copy files
> from the CD though, as it does 'perfect' ripping, which does lots
> of error correction. Add the parameter paranoia_level=0 for fast
> ripping, but blame your drive if you get nasty audio out. Oh yes,
> if you can figure out how to add paranoia_level=0 while doing DnD
> with konqy, please tell me ;) kfmclient is your friend there.
>
> I just tried the slave and it doesn't work. I think it's trying
> to do cddb lookups now, and blocking. The use_cddb parameter seems
> to be ignored. Michael ?
>
> Rik

Hetz Ben Hamo
Hardware Research dept.