List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2.1 which is in debian unstable gets really sloooowww after some time
From:       Michael Meding <Michael () Meding ! net>
Date:       2000-12-20 19:15:42

Am Mittwoch, 20. Dezember 2000 19:32 schrieb Dawit Alemayehu:
> On Wednesday 20 December 2000 12:34, Michael Meding wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am using debian unstable with latest test kernel.
> >
> > KDE2.1 is really nice, the features are really useful.
> >
> > However I dicovered that the suid root demon (ksomething) dies after a
> > while and the system is really getting slow to a point where it is
> > rendered useless. One has to restart kde to regain the speed.
>
> You mean kdesud.  I got a report on that, but it was reported to only occur
> when you close the konqueror window.  I have fixed that. However, this is
> the first report I got that the kdesud daemon dies after a while...  Do you
> see any debug output on the terminal you started X from or is that output
> in debian re-directed to a file, ex: xerrors ?  I will be curious to see
> why it crashes.  I also use the two appliactions you promised heavily and
> have no problems whatsoever...
Nothing was to be seen after the krash of kdesud. No symbols either in my
version I guess. So plain dead.

As to konqueror and kmail, do you have the machine running under X
consequently for about 5to10 hours with both kmail and konqueror running then
you have this real slowdown (I have a kt-133 with a duron 800 with 128mb
pc-133). It is sooo slow it takes about 30 sec to switch to a console via
alt-ctrl fx. Once you restarted kde everything is fine again. So I suspect it
to be a memory problem, something seem to eat all the memory, that would also
fit into the machine starting to swap while switching between konqueror
windows, running nothing else despite kmail.

Greetings

Michael