List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Five requests
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-12-20 0:57:49

Jonathan Belson wrote:

> Hiya
>
> > I was in a similar situation to you just a few months ago: an experienced
> > programmer who had never used
> > Linux/CVS/cervisia/RPM/IRC/gcc/libtool/automake/autoconf but who wanted to
>
> I've yet to find any helpful tutorials on automake/autoconf...I've gotten by
> by ignoring them and doing things by hand.  Any suggestions on places to
> look?
>
> --

The faqs docs you can find here, at developer.kde.org, on cvs are
adequate.  For automake/autoconfig help, the standard docs in info
format aren't bad, and for kde-specific use of these check what's in
kdesdk which you can get from cvs or the snapshots.  The sample app and
kapptemplate help a lot.  If you use a template all you really have to
change are the Makefile.am files for most apps.  Most of the configure
tests, etc., should be the same for all kde apps, unless you need
special libraries to be checked for.  There is no reason to create these
by hand when you can use templates or even take another app, strip out
the content, and use the framework for you own app by just changing a
few variables (mostly names of source files, target names, etc.) in the
Makefile.am in each subdirectory.  Then just type "make" and the new
Makefile should be build automatically in that directory using the
autoconfig/automake framework if it is setup correctly.

There's some good documentation for this in kdevelop.  Although kdevelop
adds its own project files to the mix, it has the best documentation on
how the autoconfig/automake process works I've seen, in html format.
Kdevelop should be able to handle all this for you for almost any kind
of project, kde or not. (But not for what is in kde cvs).  For a new kde
app not in kde cvs kdevelop is probably the best way to get started.