List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Installation Tips
From:       Ferdinand Gassauer <f.gassauer () aon ! at>
Date:       2000-12-19 20:33:49

On Tuesday, 19. December 2000 20:34, Suzanne Britton wrote:
> Greets all,
>
> I'm putting up some pages on KDE, one of which is a set of tips for
> intalling from source. It's at http://www.igs.net/~tril/kde/tips.html.
> Before I unleash it on the unsuspecting public, does anyone here have
> corrections or suggestions?
As I build from sources every day I always use

*) nice ./configure  --prefix=$KDEDIRS --with-qt-dir=$QTDIR - this allows
others to run KDE1 besides KDE2 without problems (after setting some
variables correctly and tweaking the startup scripts).

*) "nice make -k install"
	- this allows itermediate broken code to be ignored
	- and uses lower priority thus allowing to work while compiling

*) FLAGS
# some settings to speed up compilation
# Compiler flags 0 .. no optimization, 2 ..default
CFLAGS="-O0"
CXXFLAGS="-O0"
# use fileutils 4.0 or greater
# -p preserves modification time
PRESERVE="-p"
#
INSTALL="/usr/bin/install -c $PRESERVE"
export CFLAGS CXXFLAGS INSTALL

hope that gives you some ideas.

--
(KDE 2 on SuSE 7.0, source: cvs max 24 hours old from
 finwal03.tu-graz.ac.at daily rebuild)

mit freundlichen Grüßen / with best regards
Ferdinand Gassauer

PS.
Besuchen Sie doch auch unsere WEB-Seite
please visit our WEB-page