List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Experiences, speed issues, bugs...
From:       Jelmer Feenstra <spark () dds ! nl>
Date:       2000-12-19 18:31:06

On Tuesday 19 December 2000 21:14, Richard Bos wrote:
> Jelmer,
>
> speed may be an issue for you as 64MB of memory is not enough.
> I've 64MB more than you, (350MHz PII) and have no problem
> with speed.  So time for a memory upgrade??

Well, my point is that some of the speed issues are actually not present in
let's say, netscape. When I select text in netscape, it's not as sluggish as
it is within konqueror. Also, the displaying itself of the webpage (seen the
most when backing through previous visited sites) is slow, sometimes you can
follow the building of the display from the top to the bottom. The
highlighting of text, going back through visited pages and redrawing stuff is
all a lot faster if I try it in IE when running win98. I just wondered what
could be the cause of this.

I've tried kde2 on my friend's system, he has a 1GHz athlon with 256 mb mem,
it still doesn't run as snappy as I would expect on such a system. And yes, I
did use the correct CXXFLAGS while compiling the sources (optimizations,
architecture etc).

Greetz,

Jelmer