List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Busy sound device
From:       Thorsten Westheider <thorsten.westheider () teleos-web ! de>
Date:       2000-12-08 12:13:31

Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 11:31:33AM +0100, Thorsten Westheider wrote:
> > I noticed that my sound based (non-KDE2) applications block
> > indefinitely when attempting to access the audio device.
> > Killing artsd immediately solves the problem, those
> > applications play and record sound quite nicely then.
> > I don't think it's supposed to be this way, is it?
> > Same problem occurs with a H.323 GUI client I'm working on;
> > this one employs the OpenH323 library, which, in turn uses
> > "legacy" audio support (/dev/audio, /dev/dsp etc.) and also
> > blocks with artsd running.
>
> The examples do not use the sound server, they merely demonstrate working
> with the framework. There is an important choice of coding style you will
> make with aRts, that is: In which process will the calculations of your
> app take place?
>
> If you are developing new stuff, you probably want to do it out of smaller
> aRts components, which you then let run inside the sound server. So the
> "real way" to write something like example_add would look exactly like
> the example code there, but create the objects on the server, instead of
> in the client (and it wouldn't use a Synth_PLAY, but a Synth_AMAN_PLAY).
>
> That should work for all apps, even the most complex. You can (and will)
> probably write own components for more complex apps.

Hi Stefan,

the situation is as follows: The audio device (/dev/dsp,
/dev/audio or whatsoever) is accessed within 3rd party
libraries (PWLib, OpenH323). Fortunately, however, these
libraries have been implemented in C++, so from my point
of view there is a good chance to introduce some virtual
methods which could then be overridden in applications
employing PWLib/OpenH323; that way a KDE client could
implement native aRts support, of course.
As far as I know, the only thing required is recording and
playback of PCM samples, no additional mixing of streams, pitch
shift etc. What do you suggest I should do in order to use aRts
in this situation?

	Cheers,
	  Thorsten

--
Dipl.-Phys. Thorsten Westheider     / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
Im Schlingen 15                    / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /