List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The KDE-homepage :-(
From:       Roland Seuhs <roland.seuhs () cern ! ch>
Date:       2000-12-06 18:29:49

Kuba Ober wrote:

> > Everybody chooses the font-size in the browser that fits best.
> > The KDE-homepage is currently unreadable or very unconfortable to read
> > on high resultions and/or old monitors, because the KDE's CSS is using
> > fixed size fonts which are way too small.
>
> Major misunderstanding. Font sizes are specified in physical units. It's just
> as if you'd specify then in centimeters or inches or whatever. It's up to the
> client software to keep those physical sizes. You must have your xserver font
> settings misconfigured badly, as the goal is for 12pt text to be 0.166"
> everywhere. It's pretty readable, and if your display has very low
> resolution, you can always zoom.

I tried Konqueror/Linux, NS/Linux, NS/MacOS and IE/MacOS.
The fonts are too small everywhere except Konqueror (which sets a
minimum font size).

> CSS spec is okay here, and all html/css documents should actually print
> everywhere with proper physical font size. Just as a postscript document can
> be viewed with different magnifications (with mag=1 meaning that on your
> monitor you shall see it same size as it prints), html/css documents can as
> well.
>
> The proposal that everybody chooses the font-size in the browser that fits
> best, together with the fact that too many sites don't use CSS, is the major
> cause for using images with text to keep page designs looking OK.

When I disable CSS in NS, the kde-homepage looks great and I get the
font size that fits MY resoluton, MY eye-screen distance, MY physical
display quality and MY tastes best.

CSS cannot and will never be able to do that.

> The problem is that many distributions have misconfigured fonts or they don't
> configure them to properly match the physical size of monitor and chosen
> resolution, and configuring those in xserver and xfs config files isn't a
> trivial task for somebody say from MAC or Win$ world. Some basic
> understanding of how x architecture and type1/truetype/bitmap fonts work IS
> required. Basically you need to have it set up right, else it won't work and
> Qt/KDE is NOT at fault there. I never had any problems with it after I did
> set it up all right (uhoh, after trying to write a HOWTO for that I realized
> that a separate application would be needed to handle that, which I'm trying
> to write right now).

KDE (the desktop environment) has absolutely nothing to do with this,
it's a problem of the html on kde.org.

> Reiterating:
> 1. Specifying fixed font sizes in html/css documents is as needed and
> necessary as in books. Html/css webmastering is typesetting in fact, and this
> is an art where size relationships are very important.

Is it important?

I say: No it is not.

> 2. The xserver and qt are responsible for proper font scaling in relation to
> other content. Many systems are misconfigured in this respect.

Maybe.

> 3. Konqueror lacks zoom function :-)

Zoom sucks. Zoom is a way to get around a bad webpage design. Zoom is a
workaround, no solution.

Roland();

--
  Roland Seuhs