List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The KDE-homepage :-(
From:       Roland Seuhs <roland.seuhs () cern ! ch>
Date:       2000-12-06 9:52:29

Simon Hausmann wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 10:17:18AM +0100, Roland Seuhs wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Everybody chooses the font-size in the browser that fits best.
> > The KDE-homepage is currently unreadable or very unconfortable to read
> > on high resultions and/or old monitors, because the KDE's CSS is using
> > fixed size fonts which are way too small.
> >
> > As I said, everyone has the font size set that fits best, so why not let
> > the font settings as they are?
>
> Hmm, I've set a minimum font size in kcontrol for konqueror
> (Settings->Configure->Browser->Appearance) and it works just fine for me
> (it's using the minium font size I specified.)
>
> Other than that the increase/decrease font size button work fine for
> http://www.kde.org/ :-)

Yes, this is one of the reasons I use and love Konqueror. In my opinion
Konqueror displays most websites better than any other browser I know.

But Konqueror does not work with my preferred download-manager "nt" and
I still use Netscape for mail, so I will get into navigator when I click
on a link in an E-Mail.
And I am sure a lot of people still use Netscape (and will never look at
KDE when they can't read the Webpage ;-) and will use Mozilla when it
will be released.

Apart from that, I don't see any value in building browser-specific
homepages, ESPECIALLY I don't know why to add annoying features on the
server just to turn them off on the client.

The minium font size feature of konqueror is there to still be able to
look at crappy websites, I don't think it was made to encourage
webmasters to use minisculus font sizes.

Roland();

--
  Roland Seuhs
        http://roland.seuhs.com