List:       kde-devel
Subject:    audiocd kioslave debut
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-11-23 20:44:23

I checked in the audio CD kioslave at kdebase/kioslave/audiocd.

You need cdparanoia installed for this to work.

Two of the parameters are useful currently:

device=xxx       -> Specify actual CD device.
paranoia_level=n -> Specify amount of error-correction performed.
                    Valid values are:
                      0 -> No error correction at all.
                      1 -> Try to correct errors.
                      2 -> As above, but never skip (the default.)

Examples:

kfmclient openURL audiocd:/

-> Autodetects audio CDROM and opens a konqy window with tracks named
   trackNN.wav (where NN is 00->99)

kfmclient openURL audiocd:/?device=/dev/sdb

-> Same as above, except only /dev/sdb is queried for an audio CD.

kfmclient copy audiocd:/track01.wav /tmp/ripped-01.wav

-> Digitally copy the first track from the audio CD (drive autodetected.)
   Performs full error correction.

kfmclient copy audiocd:/track01.wav?device=/dev/hdc&paranoia_level=0 /tmp

-> Digitally copy the first track from the audio CD in /dev/hdc. No error
   correction is performed. This should be fast enough for streaming, but
   beware: Direct digital reading may make apparent more artefacts than
   reading via CD analogue output -> sound card.

   If your CD drive is perfect and your audio CDs have no scratches, then
   you have a very expensive CDROM drive and you're unnaturally careful
   with your CDs. For us mere mortals, if you want to play from CD, use
   kscd. If you want to rip, use a paranoia level > 0 and don't expect
   realtime output.

Now, if anyone tells you KDE is crap, open a konqy window at audiocd:/,
drag-select all the icons and drop them on your hard disk. Error-corrected
ripping to wav files. Now what we need is to see a KDE CD ripper + vorbis *
encoder that works with this.

Those who read code may notice that there are two more parameters, use_cddb
and cddb_server. Anyone up for writing support ? IMO there should be a
kcontrol module where you can set up your cddb server, because using kscd's
config file means you need kdemultimedia installed.

I would write the cddb support, but I'm going to the pub instead.

Rik
* or MP3, if you're into that kind of thing