List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kiconedit & kpaint commits
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-11-16 15:35:35

David Faure wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 November 2000 12:49, John Califf wrote:
> > I have just committed fixes and enhancements to both kiconedit and
> > kpaint which should allow both these apps to be moved back into
> > kdegraphics and out of kdenonbeta for the next release of kde 2.
>
> Done, thanks.
>
> --

I take it that you have now moved these apps back to kdegraphics.  So,
I'll check out from cvs later toaday and retest.  Thank you very much.

Thanks for the compliments everyone, but please be sure to test these
apps yourself. I may have missed some things or added some new bugs, but
I'm pretty confident that most of the big problems are now fixed.
Someone with remote file access (on a local network) may want to check
opening and saving files on a remote machine.  I tested pretty throughly
for local access. Also, using konqueror to open and save images with
these apps on remote sites, using the right click "open with" option,
which should also work with images in html pages but I haven't tried
that yet.  If remote access is not supported you should get an error
message, not a crash, but if you get a crash that is easy to fix. I
don't think Kpaint supports remote access at all at this time, and
Kiconedit may not either.  Again, this can be fixed.  Pixie caused all
kinds of problems, similarly, with remote io but that may now be fixed
in the new pixie.  Better to have no remote access at all than hanging
io processes.

For these apps to be most useful with the next release of Kde, they need
the documentation - the docbook stuff from which html is generated and
the translations.  In kdenonbeta these docs are kept in a common subdir,
not with each app.  They will also need to be moved into the subdir for
each app like kdegraphics/kpaint/doc and the Makefile.in or whatever
adjusted so they are built after configure is run.

"Old programmers never die, they just flame away."  John Califf