List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Always on top
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-11-13 19:34:48

> Knotek Vlastimil wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> How can I have windows always 'on top' ?
> I'm tried
>
>         KWM::setDecoration(this->winId(), KWM::normalDecoration |
> KWM::staysOnTop);
>
> and it works. But only when I'm run under KDE Windows manager.
> Is there any way to have windows always on top, if I have KDE
> installed but I'm running under
> other WM (for instance: Motif) ?

This is specific to each window manager.  I know that fvwm2 and icewm
both have settings to keep specific windows on top (by program name or
window title) and you just have to edit config files for the appropriate
window manager and add entries for the apps you want to stay on top.  E
also has this setting, which I believe can be accessed with the window
title bar icons or menus.  There is also such a thing as "motif" hints
which some window managers respect but I don't remember whether or not
"stay on top" is such a hint.  "No decoration" or allowing the app
rather than the wm to set the frame style is such a setting, though. For
those with graphical configuration of this setting, session management
should save the changes if you restart with such a window up.

I don't know a major widow manager without such a setting that you can
change for specif apps with config files, except perhaps kwin.  No
source code editing and recompiling should be needed.  I'm not running
kwin right now but have you checked whether or not this can be changed
from the title bar?  I can't remember.

Kde 1.x also had a setting for this in the cotrol panel, where you could
set the properties of specific windows by title or program name, but it
seems to have disappeared in the kde 2 control panel.