List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Printing Bezier curves with multiple vertices
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <schoenberger () signsoft ! com>
Date:       2000-11-07 20:48:52

> >P.S: I thought already about using this library for a more KDE/Qt based
> >graphics API similar to gnome-print, but until today I didn't found the
> >time.to finish it.

> > unsubscribe <<

> Thanks, didn't know about this - on a quick glance it doesn't seem to
> support text printing however.  Did I just miss something?

Text printing is a rather large complex problem in a graphics API.
The suggested solution is to use another library, lets say freetype, to
extract the
glyphs from a vector graphics font (Adobe Type 1 or Truetype). The extracted
glyphs are drawn as vector paths.

This solution has some major drawbacks:
- there is no standard mapping logical font <-> file with the actual glyphs
- it is relatively complex to output fonts this way, so it is mostly used to
output
  relatively small amounts of text, but in a high quality (desktop
publishing and this area)
- you can't simply use the standard Qt QPainter/QFont, but have to invent an
own solution.
- everything which goes behind the output of standard American/European
texts require
  special programming logic. Even the high quality output of
European/American text, as
  seen in e.g. layouting programs, like TeX, is non trivial.

There are some free projects in this area, but mostly Gnome (gnome-font,
gnome-print, Pango as part of Gtk 2.0...)
I have no idea if these problems are tackled in the upcoming Qt 3.0, but I
somehow doubt it :)

Dirk