List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Konqueror not usable as web-browser: A solution (and questions)
From:       Robert Vogl <r.vogl () mindless ! com>
Date:       2000-10-15 18:47:10

Hi,

> > if I type in a URL I always get the notification:
> >
> > "The process for the http://foo.bar protocol died unexpectedly"
> >
> > .xsession-errors protocolls this:
> >
> > kdeinit: kio_http: error in loading shared libraries
> > /opt/kde2/lib/kio_http.so: undefined symbol: MD5Init

Stephan Kulow gave me the following hint:

> in extern_md5.c and is only disabled (together with calls to it) if you
> specify -DNO_MD5

-DNO_MD5 was specified nowhere. "extern_md5.lo" contains this:

# Name of the PIC object.
pic_object=none

# Name of the non-PIC object.
non_pic_object='extern_md5.o'

I modified this manually to:

# Name of the PIC object.
non_pic_object=none

# Name of the non-PIC object.
pic_object='extern_md5.o'

At least the same game with "base64.lo" and now Konqueror works fine for me.
I'm not familiar with this hancy fancy pic_object-stuff, so I don't know what
I have done.
The compilation of kdelibs interrupts four times with an error like this
"libsomething.so: undefined reference to XXX", whereby XXX is one of
"mainParse", "initFlex", "MD5sum" and "fft_float".
I solved these errors in the same way as described obove. But I think it is
only a workaround but not really a solution, because I have still some
problems with KDE2 (RC2: no system sound notifications, SIGSEGV error with
kdvi).

So what's going wrong with my system (Kernel 2.0.36, glibc 2.0.7,
egcs-2.91.60)?

Bye,

--
Robert Vogl, Munich