List:       kde-devel
Subject:    AW: Do we need a RC2 (please vote)
From:       "Ferdinand Gassauer" <f.gassauer () aon ! at>
Date:       2000-10-09 11:52:29

Hi!
The world is neither black nor white ;-) (good statement isn't it ?)

What we (the users) need, is the possiblity to use the appropriate (stable)
package out of KDE 1.1.2 and KDE 2. Propably the job of the packagers?

The main problems seems to me the desktop as I think one has to decide which
one gets started on login.

I use KDE2 since 6-8 weeks as main desktop, primaryly konqueror and kmail.
So far only little problems for me, but big ones for novices.

My point of view, beside konqueror I always have a netscape window open,
where I continue if the features of konqueror (javascript) are not
sufficient. So why I do not use netscape as primary browser, - just because
I like the other features (fonts) of konqueror so much :-)

This is the main reason why I can't agree on the proposed feature freeze (at
least not  for javascript. ) May be the javascript topic can be handled in a
different way. I just do not belive that the usal end user will turn of
java/javascript as more and more sites require it.

The speed question I consider less important for a RC1/RC2 whereas the
memory footprint is critical. IMHO 128MB memory and a 300MHz is the minimum
to avoid swaping and to have reasonable good performance. konqueror already
usualy uses 30-40MB.

so far my 0.02$
cu
ferdinand

PS I assume that you know all of this arguments ...