List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Boredom, MP3s, KDE: this
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-10-04 21:51:07

On Wed, 04 Oct 2000, Charles wrote :
>I think it doesn't need to be an integer for the non-standard types, since
>they'll be used so rarely anyway (but I don't know what I'm talking about :)

We're talking about a structure here.....

class UDSAtom
{
public:
  /**
   * Whether 'm_str' or 'm_long' is used depends on the value of 'm_uds'.
   */
  QString m_str;
  long m_long;

  /**
   * Holds one of the UDS_XXX constants
   */
  unsigned int m_uds;
};

[ /me notes that m_str/m_long should have been an union :) ]

You still need to put something in m_uds that says it's a non-standard type.
Then if you want a string for the data, that's it, you have nothing else
for the name of that field. Adding anything to that struct means bloating
normal filemanagement.

In any case, the name is not something you want to ship with every item, that's
just useless.
Oh - but the .protocol files already defines the names of the fields supported
by the protocol ! All we have to do is to add the integer (the value of m_uds) for
the non-standard type, in that config file, and this way we don't need to ask
the slave at runtime :-)

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/