List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: bug: playing mp3's starts loud, gets soft over time
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-09-30 11:49:18

   Hi!

On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 10:49:22AM +0200, Stefan Schimanski wrote:
> I tried this several times and can't reproduce it. Are u sure that kaiman is
> shutdown correctly? It installs a volume effect in aRts output stack, maybe
> it isn't removed for u.

I can empirically confirm it, although I have no scientific proof. Yesterday,
it seemed to me as playing mp3s gets more and more silent. Restarting artsd
gets it back to the normal volume. However, maybe it's just that if you hear
the same problem over and over again, you start believing it. I don't have
time to really investigate this right now.

What I did is this:

Initialization:
 * run kaiman (random, with large playlist)
 * turn the volume not to the fullest (i.e. 40%)
 * start artsd from within kaiman
 * kill artsd a few times each time letting kaiman restart it

Bug:
 * let mp3s play wholly (i.e. don't use skip) for a while
 * occasionally adjust volume

   Cu... Stefan