List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: xmms/kaiman, artsd, and FreeBSD - and Slackware, and noatun!
From:       Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2000-09-24 21:21:00

Stefan Westerfeld wrote (on Sat, 23 Sep 2000):
> > First of all, isn't kaiman supposed to play MP3s?  It isn't over here.
>
> Yes, it is. However, as on FreeBSD nobody did real testing of this, Martin
> (maintainer of mpeglib) doesn't want to enable it to build for KDE2.0 by
> default. If somebody would effectively give mp3 and mpeg video a good test,
> maybe this would change.

It doesn't on Slackware 7.1 either.  In addition, Kaiman is very slow and
IMHO ugly.  Wouldn't noatun be better suited for the default media player?
The default interface is very clean, it loads *very* quickly, and has decent
playlist support, even.

The one thing I always liked about kmp3 was it's nice clean interface.  I
shouldn't have to use a skin if I don't want to - I rather like a native
qt/kde interface - it's much faster that way, and simpler, and complies with
my color scheme :)

Oh, and noatun actually works on slackware, imagine that.

--
Casey Allen Shobe / ASI Technologies
cshobe@mediaone.net / cshobe@mailandnews.com