List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: netscape plugins
From:       Stefan Schimanski <sts () caldera ! de>
Date:       2000-09-08 22:37:00

Am Sat, 09 Sep 2000 schrieb Ferdinand Gassauer:
> On Fre, 08 Sep 2000, Stefan Schimanski wrote:
> > Am Fri, 08 Sep 2000 schrieb Ferdinand Gassauer:
> > > Hi!
> > > I just discovered, that KDE lists the same netscape plugins more than
> > > once when they are located in different directories and even in the
> > > same directory.
> >
> > yes, there is no algorithm to sort out the older ones yet.
> >
> > > IMHO only the newest should be used, the others should be deactivated /
> > > deleted (at users choice)
> >
> > there is no version numbering in the Netscape plugin api. I've just
> > changed the search order in cvs. Now the plugin in the home directory is
> > prefered to the global ones.
> >
> > > Which one is taken when more then one is listed ?
> >
> > The first one is selected.
>
> wouldn't it make sense for the current release to take the youngest file ?

I prefer the approach that the user should be able to overwrite the global
settings if he knows what he does. If he installs his own plugin he should
also be able to realize new system wide plugins.

Deciding by looking on the file date isn't transparent to the user either.
Using "touch" to switch between plugin doesn't sound very logical.

I will keep the current algorithm for the 2.0 release. After that a nice
configuration dialog will replace all this magic settings.

Schimmi