List:       kde-devel
Subject:    gvim entry false!!!
From:       Moritz Moeller-Herrmann <mmh () gmx ! net>
Date:       2000-09-07 12:58:31

Package: kappfinder
Version: KDE2.0b4 (1.93)
Severity: normal

Hi, I just found that the gvim.desktop find calls gvim without any additional
arguments. This is false. Gvim will not work correctly with konqueror.

Reproduce:
Install vim/gvim. Run kappfinder. Associate text/html to gvim (for editing...).
Open konqueror on a html page. Rightclick on the page and open with Vim editor.

Result:
The document is not edited. A "new" empty document with a konueror temp file
name is opened.

Reason:
gvim forks off into the background (very handy in an xterm...) Thus konqueror
thinks gvim is finished and reads in the (unchanged) temp file and deletes it.
gvim does not find the temp file it is supposed to edit and creates a new file.

Possible fixes:
* Add the -f parameter to gvim, e.g. "gvim -f" in the .desktop file.
gvim then does not fork off into the background.

* Catch editors that fork off into the background

Best solution: :-)
Code kimp immediately, so that I don't have to use this ugly gtk gui for vim
and can use kimp as a kpart....
I offer 10 EUR to the author or 50 EUR to Uganda(vim==charity ware) , your
choice, for a usable kimp editor as kpart.