List:       kde-devel
Subject:    khtml and transparent PNGs
From:       Malte.Starostik () t-online ! de (Malte Starostik)
Date:       2000-08-18 7:32:02

Hi,

I just noticed that khtml won't display transparent PNGs as such but fill the
transparent areas with black. It all comes down to qmovie.cpp:431:
// TODO: transparency

For GIFs, frameDone() gets called, for PNGs frameDone(const QPoint &, const
QRect &) and that lacks transparency. Can anyone tell
1. Why not plain frameDone() like with GIFs?
2. Does it always happen?
3. When will TT implement transparency for that case?

As a workaround, khtml could use QMovie::frameImage() instead of
framePixmap(). The image has got a correct alpha channel. That could even be
a step towards full alpha support, no? OTOH I don't know what QImage would
impose on performance and it wouldn't be BC. Wait, if CachedImage used
frameImage() internally and returned a convertFromImage()'ed pixmap instead
of framePixmap()...? Well, the latter would only matter if TT is going to
keep this TODO line for a while.

Okay, IMHO support for transparent PNGs is quite important. Should I
provide such a workaround or will QMovie be fixed anytime soon?

-Malte