List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: OffTopic: Using BitKeeper?
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-08-04 13:13:58

>>I'm checking once in a while the bitkeeper program, and it seems to work
>> real nice now..
>Yes, what is it ?

I see 2 major changes which are good for any source management system.
- Everyting has versions. Renaming a file or dir will just be another
  revision.
- There is not 1 single repository, you can create sub repositories. This
  way a group of developers can work on a project and commit withouth the
  rest of the world seeing that. So a subproject can be in a state of flux
  while the anon-cvs get a perfect build anyway.

The last can be done with branches. But, speaking from experience, this is
really quite cumbersome and doesn't really give you the benefit it should.

The meta-logging you are obligated to sent to the company is something I don't
really have an opinion on.

I think it is better than CVS, but a switch is a really big step!
Then again, I have not used it yet ;-)