List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: browsing SMB Networks
From:       Charles <charles () altair ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2000-07-25 1:16:20

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As I am working in a M$ dominated netwok environment, I was really happy
> when I heard of the fact that Corel implemented a browsing features
> in their modified version if KDE 1.x (this means: seing _all_ the
> computers that have an smb deamon/service  running instead of explecitly
> typing smb:/url). I wondered that nobody (including Corel) ported this to
> KDE2. Was there a specific reason (e.g. unstable code) or did
> noone see a sense in adding this feature. This would be nice for 2.1. The
> same issue concerns browsing NFS shares.
RE NFS shares (i18n("shares")=="exports" :)

I recently had a really really cool idea on supporting the SMBish browsing of
NFS exports.

Either: datagram multicast, or configure a server's IP address (e.g., DHCP
compared to the old fasioned way) would be the protocol.

Just register your computer (`hostname`) and tell it your exports (showexports
or whatever the command).  It would be really cool methinks.

This is in no way associated with KDE, but how about someone volunteer to do
such a thing with myself in time for KDE2.1.  And then we/you could write an
ioslave :)

-Charles

> I did like to hear some statements about the issue.
>
> thanks
>
> </daniel>

Charles - charles@kde.org
"Hva sa du om min mor?"