List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Registering mimetypes at runtime
From:       Charles <charles () altair ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2000-07-16 23:35:46

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Charles wrote:
> > >
> > > By installing the desktop files, and making the 'shell' connect to
> > > ksycoca's databaseChanged() signal so that it can update itself, _if_ it
> > > does some sort of caching. If not, KUserProfile (or KTrader) will always
> > > return current information anyway.
> >
> > By installing the desktop files?  How do I generate desktop files.  The old
> > fasioned way? :)
>
> You want dynamic mimetypes ? I don't get it. That's what kcmfiletypes is for.
> I think you have to explain me what you want to do a bit more.
Well, if a person installs an aRts module (that plays a brand new filetype).
The person expects to be able to fire up noatun and have it immediately
recognize this new one.  So the user will tell noatun to register the file
types again.  The thing is, aRts doesn't do .desktop, it does .mcopclass, which
I already can read from.

> --
> David Faure <david@mandrakesoft.com>
> KDE Developer