List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Severe hangs on KDE2 CVS 2000/06/13
From:       Daniel Schmitt <pnambic () kidata ! de>
Date:       2000-07-13 17:52:43

Hi,

I'm currently experiencing reproducible machine lock-ups when CLOSING
the Control Center or Konqueror (they RUN fine, though). Concretely,
when closing one of the aforementioned apps through whatever means, the
associated kdeinit process does not terminate, but instead allocates
huge amounts of memory very rapidly, until the system runs out of swap
and hangs. This does not happen with other kdeinit-controlled
applications like konsole, or non-kdeinit stuff like KCalc or XEmacs.

This started happening with a CVS update from yesterday morning
(2000/06/12) and has continued through two more updates with complete
rebuilds. Unfortunately, my last previous checkout was several weeks
old, so I can't pinpoint the change that caused it.

My system is a Dell Inspiron 7500VT, running XFree4.0 under Linux
2.4.0-test4/pre6 (the behaviour is unchanged for earlier dev kernels;
sadly, I don't have any 2.2.x kernels or 3.3.x X servers lying around.)
The lock-up on memory exhaustion might be kernel- or hardware-related;
however, the memory-eating behaviour seems too localized for this...

Is anyone else seeing this? Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Thank you for your time,

Daniel.