List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE 1.92, libtool & HP-UX
From:       Holger Zecha <holger_zecha () hp ! com>
Date:       2000-07-04 10:27:15

Hello,

I made serveral tries to build KDE 1.91 and now I've the following opinion.
First I builded static linked binaries, because the libtool which is created by
the configure script is not able to build shared libraries on HP-UX.
Th static linke binaries where verry big and buggy. So I decided to play a
little bit with the libtool.
I used a GNU libtool 1.3.3 wich was created for HP-UX and now I was able to
build shared libraries. I had to modifiy nearly all Makefiles and so I only
compiled kdesupport, kdebase, kdelibs, kde-qt-addon.
The biunaries where verry buggy, too, but nevertheless it worked and the
binaries where much smaller.
I think a lot of errors occured, because the libtool I used did some mistakes
as well.
So I think, the stability and functionality from KDE depends verry much on the
libtool you use.
So please make sure, the libtool you use in KDE 1.92 is working fine on
platform you want to support.

Holger

| Holger Zecha              Hewlett Packard GmbH         _/            |
|                           Herrenbergerstr. 130        _/             |
|                           D - 71034 Boeblingen       _/_/_/ _/_/_/   |
| Telefon:                  07031/4683423            _/  _/ _/_/_/     |
| Fax:                      07031/4681349                  _/          |
| e-mail:                   Holger_Zecha@hp.com           _/           |