List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: remarks on compiling 1.91 on Solaris 2.6
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-06-30 17:54:26

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, David Faure wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 03:07:11PM +0100, James Tappin wrote:
> > Attached are the relevant (I hope) parts of the compilation log for the
> > 0630 snapshot (also using 0630 libs and 0629 support and qt-addons).
> > The list of unresolved references in konsole is much increased although
> > I think the original ones have gone. I've also note a couple of .moc
> > files that were not made automatically.
> >
> > Another bizzarre one: nsplugins won't build with the -j2 option, it
> > complains it can't find NSPluginClassIface.h, but works fine with a
> > simple make.
> >
> > After removing the -export-symbols-regex=_init.*, konsole and kwrite
> > both build OK.
>
> Ah. Doh. Of course.
> This is a case where a part is use both as a part and as a library
> that an application links to. We can't limit the export symbols in
> that case.
>
> Question to shared libs experts (Waldo/Stephan/Michael/...) :
> should I completely remove that regex and let libkonsolepart export
> all its symbols, or should I move konsole.lo back into it,
> so that all of konsole's code is in libkonsolepart, and export
> init* + setColLin + Konsole constructor (which is all that main.C needs) ?
> Which solution is best ? (The reason for the regexp is to avoid
> clashes ? Or is it also to increas performance at the symbol resolution
> stage of the linking ?)

I have removed the regex from acinclude.m4 because the original reason for
including it, avoiding symbol clashes, is void now that we don't export
symbols for dlopen'ed libs.

I'm not aware of any performance aspects (let me know if there are any :-)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Make way, KDE/Linux is coming to a desktop near you!