List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: sounds in kde2
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       2000-06-29 21:10:36

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 12:19:19AM +0200, Ludovic Grossard wrote:

Hi,

> I've put two sounds for kde2 on ftp://upload.kde.org/pub/kde/Incoming
> (sounds_for_kde2.tar.gz). The two files are mp3 encoded because of the wave
> file size and because I don't know which format is requested. Do I have to use
> the 44kHz 16 bits wav format or something else ?

wow, nice! In the near future, aRts, the sound backend of kde will be able
to play mp3s natively, so having them as mp3 is perfect.

Now we just need a way to package the sounds... I hope we will have more
than "one standard" sound theme in the future. There is
kcontrol/themes/Themes, but I guess this is for complete "Desktop
Themes". kcontrol/syssound is supposed to be removed soon... (Charles?),
so the sounds from there should be moved anyway. A kdemedia package?

> I'm  also interested in making game's midi files or waves. Who should I
> contact ?

I think most games are lacking support for playing midi right now, but
Antonio (libkmid author) might add the support. Or try to convince the
author :)

Carsten, very happy about better sound support
--
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/1632/