List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: remarks on compiling 1.91 on Solaris 2.6
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-06-29 9:59:56

Wim van Velthoven wrote:

> Hi,
>
> During last week I managed to compile a few KDE 1.91 packages
> and have a few remark.
> OS: Solaris 2.6
> Compiler gcc/g++ 2.95.2
> X11: /usr/openwin
>
> 1) in kdebase/screensavers kvm should be marked for XPM
>    I forgot to install the XPM libraries, some screensavers were skipped
>    but this one was not.
Hmm, it was fixed 18 days ago. Maybe you should use a CVS snapshot for
testing instead.

> 2) 2.6 comes with openGL, the configuration found MesaGL.
>    This gave a conflict in linking, the SUN OpenGL include files defined a symbol
>    that was not defined in Mesa.
Hmm, any details on that one? configure looks for -lMesaGL before
accepting Mesa,
so you must have it :)
Again: use a CVS snapshot, there have been some bugs.

> 3) linking problems with a static libstdc++.a for shared c++ .so libraries
>    Sun's linker complained a lot. This was solved by using gcc as the .so linker
>    and not g++ (which included -lstdc++)
This is no solution as it breaks when you have static objects or use
libstdc++ functions.
The real solution is either to configure gcc with --enable-shared (you
would also save
about 300MB for a KDE installation :) or fix libtool to bypass libstdc++
for libraries.
This is in the works.

> 4) It was already noted on this list that konsole gave undefined symbols
>    SetColLin and a few others. I found that removing the
>         -export-symbols-regex=_init.*
>    option made it link.
Aha? This makes me really wondering. But David commited something in
there, that should
fix this (and closes a bug :)

Greetings, Stephan

--