List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Socks support in KDE?
From:       Andreas Hochsteger <e9625392 () student ! tuwien ! ac ! at>
Date:       2000-06-13 7:17:28

Hi there!

At first thanks to that great desktop.
I use KDE2 (CVS-version) for about 5 months and I'm very impressed by
the ever growing features and stability.

I have just one question which I asked before but nobody replied:
Is there a possibility to go through a socks server or is something
planned in that direction?

If not, perhaps I'll try to implement it myself.
Therefore I'd need some information, where to start looking at.

My suggestion would be to make this deep whithin the libraries, so that
the other KDE-programs don't have to take care about all this.

Has somebody knowledge about socksifying programs with the NEC socks
libraries. But I think there would be a problem with the license, since
the NEC license allows only use for academic and non-comercial purposes.

Is there a free (as in speech and beer) socks library anywhere which can
be used for that task? Writing it by myself is too far beyond my horizon
;-)
But perhaps there are some volunteers...

Thanks,

	Andreas Hochsteger