List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The Licencing Issue
From:       Talin <Talin () ACM ! org>
Date:       2000-06-13 4:11:50

Here are some things that I hear often from KDE developers on this
issue:

1. "We don't need to change the license, therefore we won't change it."

	My question is: Do you generally refuse to add features that your users
have requested, even if you personally don't need them?

2. "Those Debian people are being unreasonable - they are fanatics and
their interpretation of the legal issues are wrong."

	There are always going to be people in the world who disagree about
things. Neither KDE or Debian is going to change it's fundamental
position. That doesn't mean that they can't work together.

3. "Those Debian people are in a conspiracy to keep KDE out of their
distribution."

	I suspect that there has been a lot of bad feelings caused by this
debate, but I believe that the majority of decision makers in Debian
would be happy to include KDE if they felt that it wouldn't violate
their principles. Sure there are some hotheads who have done a lot of
damage with their harsh comments and angry words. There are in
particular a few outspoken individuals associated with Debian who, in
their attempt to "help" the situation have done more harm than good. But
I really feel that the important decision makers would welcome the
addition of KDE. Debian has already said that Qt is free software, that
they have no problem with distributing it _by itself_.

	I don't want to rehash all the arguments about Qt vs. GPL. I've read
all the mailing lists, and I can see how people might interpret things
in different ways. The fact that this situation is so unclear is IMHO
the real problem.

The real question is: What is best for KDE? To be included in Debian or
not? Do you want the widest possible distribution for your work, or
would you prefer to "punish" Debian for their intransigent attitude?

	Let's assume for a moment that everybody is speaking sincerely
(generally a good assumption when trying to resolve disputes.)

	The Debian people can't take any action without violating their
principles. (You may not agree with their principles or with their
analysis, but that is besides the point.) They can't budge an inch.

	The KDE team is the only party in this dispute that has any freedom of
movement. That is, they can change the situation without violating any
of their principles, it just means a lot of work. There are people out
there who are willing to do the work. Other than the effort involved,
the proposed modification to the KDE license does no harm to anyone, and
(perhaps) does some good.

--
Talin (Talin@ACM.org)       "I am life's flame. Respect my name.
www.sylvantech.com/~talin    My fire is red, my heart is gold.