List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kmail slow
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () conectiva ! com ! ar>
Date:       2000-06-12 12:24:07

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Rik Hemsley wrote:

> #if Arend-Jan Wijtzes
> > > Aah, while I remember I also need the database to keep a tree structure and
> > > incrementally update it for threaded message views.
> >
> > That's easy :) Just keep a parent id with each mail header. And perhaps also
> > a child id for better performance.
>
> Hmm, I do that in Empath, but not a child id - a message may have more than
> one children !
> Rik

Just keep a list of ancestors in each message. Newsreaders have been
able to thread quickly based on that for ages ;-)

> > * it would take a new class (based on Qlistview) to process only
> >   those messages visible at that time, it could be made even a more
> >   general class so it can be used for any large list.
>
> That's important IMO. Anyone good at coming up with magic algorithms ? :)
>
> > Are there many users with _big_ mailfolders?
>
> Not sure, but I think it's worth getting more speed for large folders
> even if it's just for those of us who need it.

Well, if you and I need it, that's plenty ;-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director técnico
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul