List:       kde-devel
Subject:    The Licencing Issue
From:       troy <jhtd () mts ! net>
Date:       2000-06-10 5:15:44

Hello,

Greetings Developers,

I'm sorry if I've caused a deal of confusion with my message.  I posted that
message for just that reason.  I wanted to know if there were any problems
with what I was doing.  Like I said, I was trying to do this to please the
debian folks, however I don't even run that distribution, I use Mandrake.

I was also looking at the $3000 tag that was attached to the 'Open Letter'
that was posted to slashdot, among other locations.  The reason I used that
link was that that was the first one I could locate.  Sorry for that and for
the people who assumed that I was doing this because of what was percieved to
be propaganda on slashdot.  It was a misunderstanding.  I also wanted that
$3000 to go as a donation to the KDE project, not as personal gain.

Also, I know that it is very common sense that linking to Qt should be
possible from within KDE without modications or amendments to the licencing.
Anyone who has examined the code would be able to see the quite readily,
however the debain people seem not to think along the same lines.  They use
other licences for other products included, including X, APache, etc., and
KDE should be included in a similar method.

After reading the thread that developed from my origional message on
lists.kde.org (my pop server seems to be dead, so I had to read them there),
I've concluded that there are mixed feelings about the issue here, just as at
debian.  I'm sorry if I upset anyone.

I had sent out about 40 of close to 400 messages to developers aready,
however I will stop as it seems there is too much opposition.  I figured the
reason it hadn't been done so far was that it was simply a great deal of work.

As far as this being official or not: No this was not official, however, had
I got a database of all the developers agreeing, I would have submitted it to
the KDE core developers in order to implement the changes, thus making it
official if it was accepted.

Sorry for the trouble I've caused....

Troy Unrau
jhtd@mts.net