List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kmail slow
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-06-09 11:34:48

> > Aah, while I remember I also need the database to keep a tree structure and
> > incrementally update it for threaded message views.
>
> That's easy :) Just keep a parent id with each mail header. And perhaps also
> a child id for better performance.

Maybe have a 'tree' table which containts:
Parent    INTEGER
Child     INTEGER
Sequence  INTEGER

Where parent is a unique id for the parent message/folder
child is the id for message
sequence is there so sorting can be remembered.

This option will allow you to have a message present in multiple trees.
So a filter could put a message in the global kdevel box and in the "kmail slow"
thread. Moving the message to the "received" box would only add one entry to the
tree table.

> > Anyway I think it's a good idea, and definitely worth researching.

Agreed.

I only want everyone to be aware of one thing.

- Procmail and friends will no longer work
- The sysadmin can no longer look into your email ;-)
- Reading your email with anything besides kmail will no longer work. (unless we
  auto export)

> To resume this far:
>
> * for performance it would be better to use a database

You also get the possebility a truckload of cool options ;-)

> * it would take a new class (based on Qlistview) to process only
>   those messages visible at that time, it could be made even a more
>   general class so it can be used for any large list.

This is a seperated issue.

> Then a last thing. This mailing list is crowded enough as it is. Should we
> continue this discussion somewhere else ?

What was that kmail-mail list??