List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kmail slow
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () conectiva ! com ! ar>
Date:       2000-06-08 17:21:30

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Arend-Jan Wijtzes wrote:

> > > Does it support a SQL interface ?
> >
> > Kindof. You do queries using a language that resembles SQL. Some of the
> > differences are trivial, for example, the SELECT doesn't require a FROM
> > because you call the select() method of the table object.
> >
> > And you don't have to specify what fields you want returned, because you
> > get a object which has all the fields.
> >
> Does this mean that you can not select from multiple tables in one query ?

Well, you can fake it. I am not sure there is a straight way to do it,
though.

> > > Indeed, the question is if that is acceptable. Users would be more or less
> > > obligated to use Kmail once they start using it... or you could choose to
> > > store mails in the old format too. I guess only storing would not have too
> > > much impact on performance.
> >
> > Or a export program.
>
> It seems that this discussion was allready held at the kmail development list
> and that they desided to go with the old mbox format to keep compatibility.
> Maybe they did not consider the export function ?

Well, this is not exclusively for kmail. I will develop it anyway, since I
want to improve it for KRN, but of course the more programs use it, the
better :-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director técnico
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul