List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kmail slow
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-06-08 14:35:49

#if Roberto Alsina
> What is in your QDict? How many records can you reasonably put in it?

QString         id_;
QString         subject_;
QString         senderName_;
QString         senderAddress_;
QDateTime       date_;
int             timeZone_;
Status          status_;
unsigned int    size_;
QString         messageID_;
QString         parentID_;
bool            hasAttachments_;
bool            tagged_;

I haven't seen an index use an unreasonable amount of memory.

I usually have about 20K messages in all my folders before I get pissed
off with mutt being really slow at reading a folder. After about 100
messages it gets irritating. I clear them at around 1K. With Empath, I
don't need to bother, as it's still fast.

Obviously having an index record for each of 20K messages in memory is
silly; that's why I have the (1 second) auto-clear. It's transparent -
e.g. if you call replace(), the dict will be loaded back off disk.

- no data conversions necessary.

Rik