List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: AW: Size control in KStyles
From:       "Derek Spears" <derek () concentric ! net>
Date:       2000-05-25 4:47:03

----- Original Message -----
From: "mosfet" <mosfet@mandrakesoft.com>
To: <kde-devel@max.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 11:42 AM

> "Hummel, Timo" wrote:
> >
> > >As per my previous email, you probably could hack it - you just have to
> > >be creative ;-)
> >
> > But mam, I like standard things much better .)
> >

> Well, there is no standard way so if you insist on that the answer is
> "no, you can't ";-) But Qt has a really cool virtual polish method that
> gets called with a pointer to the widget for every widget that gets
> allocated. This is *very* powerful because you can essentially do
> anything you can think of to any widget whatsoever. Very cool, and there
> are also polish methods for QApplication and application palettes. Thus
> you can extend QStyles (and thus KStyles) to do virtually anything you
> like :) You just got to be willing to get a little dirty ;-)
>
> > Timo

I saw earlier that you were looking into extensions to the Qt style
mechanisms. Having delved into writing a style with KSgiStyle
I'd like to toss in my $.02 worth.

1) Would be nice to have a way to cleany get Enter/Leave events for
     any and all widgets for highlighting and the such. Seems like the
easiest
     way is to have access to the QWidget pointer during the draw routine
     to see who you are drawing. I tried an bunch of hacky things like
     tracking the QPainter, finding the widget through the painter (only
     seemed to work on comboBox) and tracking the colorGroup but
     found nothing very elegant or consistent.

2) Frame width seems to be hardcoded. It would be nice to have a hint
    method so frames for menus or frames in dialogs could suggest the
    desired width.

thanks, derek